1. Plan the date: Pick a location that is comfortable and conducive to conversation. If you’re uncomfortable with staring at each other across the table, then pick something that is interactive. Mini-golf, hiking, a driving range, art galleries etc. are all great interactive first date ideas.
2. Be on time: Period.
3. Be confident: She already said yes! You are in the gate, so don’t blow it with poor posture and dodgy eye contact, stammering conversations, etc. If you get nervous on dates, there are tools to help you gain confidence.
4. Dress to impress: If you are unsure of what this means talk to some of your guy friends and girlfriends. You can also hire a personal shopper or image consultant. First impressions are everything!
5. Be a gentleman. Chivalry is not dead. Open the door, be polite and complimentary to your date, and show respect to the waitress and others. Even if your date offers, don’t be cheap, PAY. It is the polite thing to do.
6. Good topics of conversation: Interests, hobbies sports, passions, pursuits, favorite travel destinations, what you both like to do on the weekends to relax, etc. Make sure to ask her questions and LISTEN. A conversation goes both ways. Both people should be sharing.
7. Bad topics of conversation: Don’t talk about X’s—EVER. This is a big no, no. You should be focusing on getting to know your date. Leave your intimate stories and emotional baggage at home. Once you get to know each other, it is appropriate to discuss X’s. Additionally, stay away from politics and religion.
8. Flirt: If you are into your date, let her know it. Sweet, innocent flirting is always welcomed if both parties are interested.