Get Over Dating Jitters By Building Confidence
The first step in creating greater confidence is to believe in yourself. It is your responsibility to take charge of your self-esteem and outlook about people and situations. You already got the date. Now it is time to enjoy it and rock your best self. Although, sometimes that is easier said than done.
Here are 7 tips to help with your confidence.
- Identify 10 major successes. Research has repeatedly shown that the more you acknowledge your past success, the more confident you become. A simple way to start this process is to take an inventory of your major achievements. On a sheet of paper, write down 100 or more of your best accomplishments as well has difficult situations you have risen above. Then pick your top 10 and read them before going on your date.
- Keep a daily victory log. Recall and write down your successes each day. This will log them into your long-term memory, enhancing your self-esteem and self-confidence. Whenever you need a boost of self-confidence, reread what you have written. Keeping and referring to your victory log keeps you focused on your successes instead of your failures.
- Keep your agreements. One of the most commonly overlooked ways to boost self-esteem is to keep your word. Every agreement you make is ultimately to yourself, even those that involve other people. Your brain registers agreements as commitments. If you break your commitments, you learn to not trust yourself. You lose integrity and faith in your ability to produce a result. Do not undermine your sense of personal power. Keeping to your commitments is an attractive trait and important in getting over dating jitters.
- Visualize yourself as you want to be. Visualization is the technique of seeing an image of yourself that you are proud of in your own mind. Practice visualizing the version of yourself you want to be on the date. Visualize walking in with confidence, knowing exactly what to say, laughing and having a blast. Remember, “What the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.” — Napoleon Hill
- Affirm yourself. Affirmations are positive statements that we say to ourselves. We tend to believe whatever we tell ourselves constantly so say them out loud. This is even more effective if you look into a mirror and say them to yourself. They are called mirror affirmations. https://letsreachsuccess.com/2016/07/10/the-mirror-technique/. To get your brain to accept your positive statements more easily, phrase your affirmations as questions. Say, “Why am I so fun and confident on dates?” instead of “I am so fun and confident on dates.” Our brains are wired to find answers to questions, even if it doesn’t know the answer.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Do one thing that scares you every day. Furthermore, the best way to overcome fear is to face it head-on. Doing something that scares you daily will increase your confidence with every experience. If you get out of your comfort zone daily, your self-confidence will skyrocket. Get out of your comfort zone and face your fears today.
- Stop Listening to your inner critic. Negative self talk is so detrimental to self-esteem and confidence. When you say negative things, rephrase them positively. Step back and observe your statements as if a friend was listening to them. Differing from your inner critic is an important step. Without a doubt, you are a unique and amazing individual and have to focus on all of the fantastic qualities you have.
Cheat tips to help feel good and confident:
- Essential oils. Scents that you smell and inhale can help you relax and feel good. Lavender is a great scent for relaxation. You can research other scents to learn what works for you.
- Play your favorite music before an event or situation that is worrisome to you.
- Power poses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phcDQ0H_LnY&t=19s
- Dress sharp. If you feel great in what you are wearing, you will feel more confident meeting others.